Wednesday, April 18, 2012

So it goes

Not much to report this week specifically to the garden. In a holding pattern for the Rototiller and to ensure we are really done with winter aka frost.  I do have some pics of the seedlings...

Cauliflower 
I hope that the UVA bag in the background will not deter any of my VA Tech readers,  it is a long story for another time.

They're GIANTS!

I had the opportunity to have a wonderful meal with friends on Saturday that culminated in fireside chats (my favorite!).  The reason I bring this up is that our conversation reminded me of another reason that I want this gardening project to be successful and that is my desire to eat things that are not only healthy for my body but also grown locally.  The inspiration for our conversation (that is my private women's college education being put to good use there) came from a couple of sources.  For me was a book that I just started called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle  and for my friends it was a couple of movies Forks over Knives and Fat Sick and Nearly Dead and the diets that go along with it.  I mention this not as pointless plugs but so that anyone who is reading this can see some of the motivation behind this project.

I also forgot to mention that mother nature has done a number on me too.  I suffered endlessly from allergies as a child: doctors, shots the whole nine.  As an adult I have been able to treat with over the counters meds without much incident until now.  I'm sure it's the lack of rain and the pollen tumbleweeds.  Anyone who has not experienced this thinks I jest. (see below)  I have been cutting the grass with a mask (sorry no pictures, I am still single) and still feel like I've been hit with a truck.  Hopefully today's rain will get things under control.    The goal is for next weeks post to include some more planting!!


It looked a lot more threatening before being soaked by the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment