Saturday, May 5, 2012

You win some you lose some

I'm sure some of you think that I have already given up.  Why hasn't she planted her garden yet you ask?  Well I am going to trust the sage advice of those that have gone before me and not plant before Mother's Day.  I think this is mostly to avoid frost but part of this journey is to rely on the integrity of other farmers (urban or otherwise) .  As most of you know Mother's day  is a week from tomorrow (depending on when you read this) and to ensure I plant on time, Burpee has sent my first plants.    It looked like a package from the future.



This is what was inside.


There are specific instructions to water and allow the plants to rest for at least 48 hours and that they will survive up to 10 days.  




Good thing as this brings me to the loses part of this post.  I don't have the heart to post pictures but there have been some minor setbacks.  First, I have mold on eggplant and green peppers seedlings (which are no where near as large as the ones from Burpee?).    I have tried all the internet suggestions to no avail.  Hopefully they will survive until next week.  Secondly there have been two fatalities in the last week or so....the onions and the cauliflower.  I'm not too upset about the cauliflower but the onions were important.  Perhaps I will take the loss and buy an onion set from another farmer.    Finally the garden soil is still not ready.  This is not for lack of trying.  Dad and I have spent many hours out there but it seems every time we get going either Mother Nature in the form of weather stops us or the infernal bamboo.   If anyone has any suggestions (other than setting it all on fire) I would be open to them.  Next spring it will be action item number one......





No comments:

Post a Comment