Thursday, August 2, 2012

Let the eating begin......


This is my favorite part of the garden so far.  The vegetables are plentiful and delicious.   I have been able to make meals for friends and family.  I've even given veggie baskets as birthday gifts!

Just because I am enjoying the fruits (or vegetables) of my labors the work is far from over.  I am still battling  nature and by that I mean all the animals that think I am growing food for them.  I can't figure out if it is deer or groundhogs or bugs or all of the above.  As all of you are also experiencing it has also been a very dry summer and the rain barrel has been empty.  So an unanticipated expense of a higher water bill has been an adjustment to my budget.  Don't get me wrong it has all been worth it.  I learn something new almost every week and am already laying the plans for next year.

There have been some newcomers to the party.....

watermelon

cantaloupe 

It's been amazing to watch everything start from a tiny seed and then become a plant and begin to bear fruit which also starts small and will hopefully grow enormous and delicious.   





2 comments: